See all works by Frank Brangwyn
Nuns in Diksmuide, 1912
Framed (ref: 1557)
Signed in pencil and inscribed to Albert Belleroche.
Wood block, 8 x 6 in. (20 x 15.1 cm.)
Tags: religion topography
The original Lawrences end grain box wood block, cleaned, restored and framed with a period print on the verso side.
Provenance: Count William de Belleroche
Brangwyn had a particular fondness for Dixmude, near Ostend. Brangwyn donated a collection of his work to the town in 1921 and was the Chairman of the English Committee for Dixmude, an organisation which sought to restore the town after the carnage of World War One.
A rare survival, (blocks are frequently
discarded, or shaved down for re-use), these blocks offer an insight
into the artist's working methods. From a design point of view they
are amongst Brangwyn's most direct and successful compositions and a
perfect expression of the extraordinary graphic vigour with which he
created work. The blocks were cut by Brangwyn himself.
We are grateful to Dr. Libby Horner for assistance.