Dorothea Quarry at Nantle, nr Carnarfon, late 1940s
Mounted (ref: 2431)
Watercolour over pencil on paper, 15 1/2 x 23 in. (39.5 x 58.5 cm.)
Provenance: Jeremy Kemp, studio ref no. AK43
This sketch is of the head workings of the great old DORETHEA slate quarry up by NANTLE. The tall building was the pump house with its huge single cylinder beam engine. The steep ramp was used to pull the massive blocks of slate op to the cutting sheds above. The wooden winch heads which hoisted the slate up from the quarry bottom are to the left. As a small boy the artist's son Jeremy used to love playing up there. This was a study for a large mural that Kemp did to depict the decline of the slate industry in North Wales, around 1940.
We are grateful to Jeremy Kemp for assistance.