See all works by Alfred Egerton Cooper
Alfred Egerton Cooper:
The risen Christ appearing in the dawn of the new era, circa 1924
Framed (ref: 542)
Inscribed and dated on the reverse
Coloured chalks, 14 x 66 in. (35.5 x 167.7 cm.)
This painting, which is on plaster and measures about 32 ft 10 in. in length,
hung above the altarpiece, some 12 ft above the ground, in St Jude’s
Church, south London. The church is located on St George’s Road by the
Imperial War Museum. Sold by the Church of England some eighteen years
ago, and having undergone various reincarnations (at one point as a
furniture warehouse), the building is currently owned by the Elephant
and Castle New Testament Church of God.
According to an
article of 13 November 1925 in the Daily Telegraph, the painting was
commissioned as a memorial to the men of the parish who died in the
First World War, and was unveiled on 12 November 1925. The models were
parishioners of St Jude’s who particularly suffered during the war.
We are grateful to the Revd Tom Devonshire Jones, Clive Jones and the British War Memorial Project for assistance.