Final design for the Thomas More Altar, Cheyne Row, London, mid 1930s
Framed (ref: 5551)
Oil on paper,
30.5 x 20.2 cm (12 x 8 in.)
This is a study for a mural undertaken for the Holy Redeemer Church, Chelsea.
Mahoney’s altarpiece for the Roman Catholic Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer and St Thomas More was unveiled on April 1,1938. In
the background the Tower of London with a scaffold being erected can be seen on one side with More’s house in Chelsea on the other.
Thomas More’s name was added to the dedication of the Roman Catholic Church following his canonisation in 1935, (the quadricentenary
of his martyrdom). The church is located close to the house where he lived in Chelsea from 1524 until he was taken to the Tower and
subsequently executed on July 6, 1535.