Study of submarines at The Holy Loch, circa 1942
Framed (ref: 7799)
Gouache over pencil
8 x 10 1/2 in. (20.3 x 26.7 cm)
Tags: Charles Cundall maritime Metropolitan
Provenance: The Artist's Family
The Holy Loch is a sea loch in Argyll and Bute, Scotland. During World War II, the Loch was used as a submarine base.
In July 1940, the WAAC offered Cundall a salaried six-month contract with the Admiralty, focusing on the work of the Merchant Navy: a timely subject that had been promoted by the Chamber of Shipping the previous spring. In 1941, after a brief lull following the end of his Admiralty employment early in the year, he was transferred to the Air Ministry, where he remained until 1945.
Muirhead Bone wrote the catalogue Foreword for one of Cundall’s exhibitions in 1927 praising him as a “detached observer we feel we can trust”.