Search

Glyn Jones (1906 - 1984)

Painter and muralist, born in Manor Park, Essex, who attended Coopers School, Row, 1919-23, then the Slade School of Fine Art, 1923-6, under Henry Tonks and Philip Wilson Steer, won the Prix de Rome in decorative art, 1926, studying in Rome with Rex Whistler. While there, he travelled widely around the Mediterranean and was commissioned to paint for the Lord Milner memorial, Canterbury Cathedral. Returned to London, he took a flat at 105 Charlotte Street, which doubled as the Spectrum Gallery, running it with the sculptor Marjorie Meggitt, whom he married in 1937. Exhibited at RA, Leicester Galleries and Fine Art Society, where Lord d'Abernon, Lord Howard de Walden and Sir Joseph Duveen bought his work, patrons for many years. Solo exhibitions included The Fine Art Society, 1931, and The 'Twenty One Gallery, 1932. During World War 11 Jones was commissioned in the Army, working in Britain as an interpreter with Italian prisoners and in censorship. He completed many murals, venues including British Legion Hall, Parson's Green; St Augustine's, Fulham; St Bride's, Fleet Street (plus a stained-glass window design); St Alphege, Greenwich; and Trinity House. Many portrait commissions included the prime minister Lord Wilson with his wife Mary. Died in London.

sold = sold     reserved = reserved     private collection = private collection
[Click on any picture’s title to add it to your favourites ]